Monday, November 2, 2009

Texas Falls Short on the Civil Rights Train

What is that sound? Is it a train? No, it is the momentum of the civil rights movement happening throughout the country. There are, to this day, six states in the United States that have legalized some form of gay marriage. The majority of these states have done so in the past year. There is continued hope throughout the nation that the momentum that has been built by these states will continue to include the repeal of the federal law called DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act).

On September 21, 1996, Bill Clinton signed into law the Defense of Marriage Act. This act had two effects: 1) No state is required to recognize a relationship between members of the same sex as a marriage, even if the marriage is recognized in another state; 2) the federal government defines marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman. Almost ten years later, in 2005, an amendment to the Texas Constitution was passed by the Texas Legislature and presented to the public to vote on. The amendment, called Proposition 2, was passed with 76 percent of voters approving the ban. The ban reflected that of DOMA in that it defined marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman preventing same sex couples from the legal rights of marriage.

Many opponents to the civil rights movement have and continue to use religion as the basis to the purpose of the ban and Texas is no exception. Their claim is, because it is written in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin, that members of the GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender) community are second class citizens who shouldn’t be given the same rights as those in the heterosexual community.

There are many arguments I could make to the claim above, but I want to focus on a very broad argument that not only touches the gay marriage issue but other civil rights issues as well, the merge of state and religion. Part of the first amendment in the Constitution of the United States of America includes freedom of religion and freedom from religion. Our country thrives on the diversity of different religious views and beliefs. Some citizens don’t believe in God or the Christ of the Christian faith, so why are we using religion as an excuse to pass laws in Congress? Why is it okay with the federal government that another religion’s beliefs, including many sects of Christianity, be forced upon the citizens of our country? It seems to me that our nation is becoming one of hypocrisy. Not one state has passed a law forcing a Christian church, or any other religious establishment for that matter, to marry a couple of the same sex.

I write this in the hopes to reach out to my fellow Texans and Americans and show them that members of the gay community, myself included, are human beings. I ask those of you who deny us our civil rights to look back at the struggle our country had with the African-American and Latino communities and ask yourselves, “Are we, as a nation, going forward or backward?”.

4 comments:

  1. The arguments that Michael raised in his blog: Texas Falls Short on the Civil Rights Train appeared not only thoroughly researched but poignant. It is obvious his plight is not only a difficult one, but a battle so many don't deserve to have to fight. From my personal experience, I can relate to his sorrow and oppression. Having faced the question of my own sexuality I experienced confusion, anxiety and fear of what others would perceive of me.

    As Michael pointed out, the laws, both federal and state, are clear. If Christianity is the basis of these decisions the plain truth is Christ accepted everyone- from every walk of life. It's my opinion that the word marriage should be removed in both state and federal laws and replaced with "civil union". By doing this all people would be entitled to the benefits and protection of their civil partnership. Unfortunately, I believe this will take time, effort and patience just as the African American and Latino fight for civil rights did.

    I was impressed with Michael's blog it left me sympathetic to his station and with a desire to help change the opinion of closed-minded individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Texas Falls Short on the Civil Rights Train, fellow classmate Michael Crump, writes of the injustice the gay community is dealing with regarding their rights, especially in Texas. Michael’s main argument is that the decision to allow or not allow gay marriages should not be a decision based on religious ideas. This is a heated topic that is often debated throughout the religious and political world and I can really appreciate Michael’s sensible approach to the matter. If we take the religious aspects out of the picture what do we have left? Nothing but a simple piece of legislation to be voted on and like the Civil- rights movements of the 1960’s directly affects the rights of a “different” minority group of the voting population.


    Mr. Crump’s editorial was extremely well written and his calm demeanor helps his cause. I commend his bravery in being open about being gay because in a world like ours sometimes that means choosing the harder path. I agree with his idea that politics and religion should be kept separated, but realistically we all know that it will take society a lot more changing and growing to do before that will ever happen. But we can hope that one day we can all learn to accept gays and lesbians just as we now accept African Americans as our equal. I personally think, we as a nation ,are slowly headed in that direction, the first step was that first state that allowed same- sex marriage. I think it just takes patience, time and strength, afterall we do have a lot of minds to change. Michael, don’t give up your hope and fight for equality. I think its closer than we all think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My classmate Michael raises a good point on the subject of gay marriage. I speak strongly on the issue and defend any American struggling with the issue. I will make my point very clear that no one, I don't care who you are, should be told who they can and cannot marry and why that may be.

    Telling two people, gay or not, that they cannot be joined in marriage is wrong. This single question comes into mind any strong issue comes around and that is, who are you to tell me how to live MY life?

    Although I am a Christian and I do believe in a higher being, combination of religion and civil issues should not even be an option. Michael makes a good point that if any American does not practice religion and does not believe in a God, why does that jeopardize their future?

    Being married changes nothing for the public and affects no one except for that couple and their family. Gay, straight, rich, or poor, it makes no difference. Our world takes new turns everyday. In the 1950's, black people and white people were not allowed to even speak to one another and now, our country just elected the first African American into our Nation's White House. Talk about change and progress. We are the land of the free and that should apply to every citizen present.

    Michael's mature demeanor made his point in a strong fashion that made me admire his bravery. His points are valid and even if I were a person to disagree with his stance, I would still appreciate the voice he calls and his views on the subject. Change is a scary thing but necessary for progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our country thrives on the diversity of different religious views and beliefs. I agree that the state and religion should remain separate. However the ultimate goal should reach further than mere ”legalization” of gay marriages, just as we should not be satisfied just because we have the legal system that mandates equal protection and/or treatment in terms of race,
    Many people say one thing and do another. Such as, there are those who say they believe that people are born gay. However their attitude towards the gay population tells a much different story. Even if gay marriage become the norm across this nation those people who oppose the gay lifestyle for whatever reason will not change in their heart of hearts. From time to time, not often, I encounter someone who does not like me just because of the color of my skin. I cannot change the way that they think or feel about me or others of my race. I worked a job once where there was a guy that let it be known that he did not like Black people. After working alone with this guy for about four months he said to me one day “you are pretty cool for a black guy but I am still prejudice.” I had no comment. What could I say to that?
    Will legalizing same-sex marriages reduce the divorce rate in America? Can two men or two women do a better job of raising children? I know a lot of heterosexual and homosexual couples. Many of my heterosexual married couples have divorced and remarried and yet there are still plenty of them that are still happily married to their one and only spouse. Most of my homosexual couple friends have been in and out of relationships long before we met and have since moved on to other relationships. There are too some homosexual couples who have been together faithfully for years.
    The ultimate goal should be to truly change the attitudes of the general public towards same-sex marriages.

    ReplyDelete