Monday, November 30, 2009

A Plague in Austin That Takes Your Money?

There is a plague spreading throughout Austin. No, it’s not rats nor is it the Black Death. It is a plague known as panhandling. Corner after corner that I drive pass, whether it’s to school, work, or even the grocery store I see people with signs asking for donations from drivers stopped at traffic lights. There is continuous debate over whether or not there should be an ordinance against panhandling. In 2005, a judge ruled that an ordinance making panhandling illegal in Austin was unconstitutional because it violated their right of free speech. But how is it ok for these people to ask for our hard earned money and not have to do a thing for it?

Think about how many cars pass each corner and how long these panhandlers stand on a corner. If one out of every twenty cars gives a panhandler $1 and he/or she sees, oh let’s say, 500 cars in an hour, he/she is making $25 per hour. You know what is worse? The money these panhandlers are making is tax free. How is it fair, especially in the current state of the economy, for these people to stand on corners begging for money and not have to pay any taxes for it?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to sound heartless, but there are people out there, people that could actually work for a living, that shouldn’t be asking for our money. I understand there are those that can’t fend for themselves and need assistance; however, these others are making it harder on them. Not to mention, how do we know we are not just supporting their habits of alcohol or drug abuse? I think that instead of allowing panhandlers to sit on corners, the city should make a fund where if those that want to donate to those who actually need financial assistance or donate to already existing organizations that aid the homeless, they can, and can receive something to write it off on their taxes.

Making an ordinance to stop panhandling would also make people feel safe when stopped at a red light. Many drivers roll up their windows to avoid having to deal with talking to panhandlers, myself included. All in all, in my opinion, Austin would be a much more pleasant city to drive around if we didn’t have to worry about panhandling in our city.

2 comments:

  1. I believe that there should be an ordinance against panhandling. I find it quite annoying that I also have to roll up my window and stare past the person to avoid eye contact of the panhandler. I liked your comment about how if out of every 20 cars gives a panhandler $1...how it could potentially add up to $25 dollars an hour. This is more than some people make with an assosiates degree! I agree with you that we work hard for our money and shouldn't have to give it away to someone who is standing on the streets all day holding a sign.
    I would also like to comment on you question, "..how do you know we are not just supporting their habits of alcohol or drug abuse?" I have actually seen a panhandler on a corner in North Austin with a sign that said "need money for beer." This really angers me. We already have enough problems with alcohol in Austin. Why should I give someone even a penny if they are going to buy alcohol?
    I have alo been stuck at a red light and a panhandler actually came and knocked on my window. I don't believe these people deserve handouts. Some of them are just lazy and need to go out like every other person and find a job. All they need is a shower and to a ride to any of the local soup kitchens until they can find a job.
    Those who are physically of mentally disabled should have help provided for them by the government or people who want to donate to help them out as you commented on.
    I also agree that an ordinance to stop panhandling would make Austin a safer and less vunerable place to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a response to my classmate, Michael Crump, who argues that we should make an ordinance to stop panhandling and I totally agree with him.

    I don’t normally give money out to panhandlers. When I am coming to an intersection and I see one asking for money, my first instinct is to lock the doors. I mean, you never know what they are capable of doing. They could easily be carrying a weapon and there’s no way of knowing it and there are only a few feet away from you. It’s all about safety for me when it comes to making an ordinance for panhandling. I have had two separate incidents where safety was an issue when it came to panhandlers. When I was younger, my Dad was driving in Houston and was stopping at an intersection, a panhandler had started wiping my Dad’s windshield without asking for my Dad for permission. My Dad was waving his arms telling him to stop but he just kept on cleaning. After he was done, he went to my Dad’s window to get the money he was hoping for and my Dad didn’t have any change at the time and the panhandler was furious. He banged on our car but thank goodness the light turned green and we were able to go because who knows what else he could have done. The other incidence happened right as my family and I were walking out of church. The panhandler asked for money and my Dad again only had a few nickels and dimes in his pockets. The panhandler threw the change on the ground and started ranting loudly about how we should have given them more money to them since we went to church.

    That’s why I now only give money to organizations or to churches that will use that money to help these people who are in need. There are a lot of places here in Austin that’s willing to help those get themselves back on their feet if they are willing to ask and work for it. My church for example supports people who come to them when they need money and they usually end up offering them a small task job until they are able to get back on their feet. I think all panhandlers are highly capable of working for money or getting help from these organizations.

    The city of Austin needs to step up and pass this ordinance against panhandling. During these trying times, there are going to be more and more people asking for money on the streets and less people giving them money since they themselves are not able to share a few extra dollars because they need to save it. Frustration will settle in these panhandlers and you never know what they will do to get you to give them money. With the passing of this ordinance, people won’t have to worry about the person standing right outside of their window.

    ReplyDelete